Science is a growing field of study and continues to bring in discoveries every day. Among the best scientific invention is non-dairy milk. With years, different types of this type of milk have got emerged. But what are the advantages of taking this type of milk and what are the disadvantages? These are some of the questions that most of the customers can’t answer.
Considering this, we dedicated our time in research to the most sustainable non-dairy milk. We, therefore, shall outline an ultimate list of the top non-dairy milk types, as we discuss their advantages and disadvantages. We shall discuss the content and why each of the type gets considered as the best.
If you’re seeking to live a life free of dairy products, you can pick on any of our selection. Consider reading through the whole text for a chance to understand non-dairy milk in a better way. In reading the article also, you stand a chance to know about selecting the best non-dairy milk.
Ripple milk is among the best non-dairy milk alternatives that one can pick from the stores. It’s an extract from the yellow peas, by Ripple Foods Company.
Advantages: Among the reasons why many of its users consider the milk as the best alternative to dairy milk include;
- It features high protein content that appeals to most of the people. Much of the contained proteins are plant-based. A cup of this milk will contain 8 grams of proteins the same as the amount in a 240 ml bowl of cow’s milk.
- The milk also comes with a variety of nutrients including70 calories, 4.5 grams of fats, calcium, vitamin A, Iron, and vitamin D for development of healthy bones. It’s also rich in potassium, which you might not include in your diet. With these nutrients, the milk is suitable for children to help them develop a healthy nerve transmission as well as muscle contraction.
- Also contains omega three obtained from the algal oil, which is excellent for improved brain functioning. The oil also acts to protect the heart from related diseases.
- The milk is also an excellent option for those who are lactose intolerant. It’s also soy and nut-free; meaning that, consuming the milk will have no adverse allergic conditions for the users
- It contains low fats, and therefore, it’s right in reducing body weights.
- It’s also an excellent choice for those who want to remain under a low-carb diet, as the milk contains low calories, carbs, and sugars.
- Also, in comparison to other alternative non-dairy milk products, milk is an excellent option in terms of being environmentally friendly. For example, dairy cows will emit large quantities of greenhouse gasses into the atmosphere in comparison to Ripple Milk. Also, a cow will need a lot of water, as well as energy if it has to produce milk. Under such cases, Dairy cows negatively impact the environment more in comparison to Ripple Milk.
Disadvantages: there are a few possible downsides of using this Ripple milk which includes;
- In case the user adapts to unsweetened flavors, he or she will take in the added sugars. Such sugars will certainly result in conditions of one becoming obese, diabetic. Or face heart and liver diseases.
- Too much of Omega 6: unlike omega 3, omega 6 is unhealthy to the consumer in that, it increases chances of obesity which can facilitate to heart attacks.
These are a few of the cons that a user may face in adopting this type of non-dairy milk. Compared to the benefits, you can tell why the product takes the lead of the list.
Extracted from soybeans is the soy milk which comes out as among the most popular non-dairy milk in the market. The product will come in a variety of options, including the sweetened and unsweetened categories. Also, it comes in flavored varieties such as vanilla and chocolates.
Pros: Soy milk comes with a list of advantages which includes;
- It contains Vitamin A and D, riboflavin and calcium,
- Also carries in it at least 8 grams of proteins,
- The content also consists of the isoflavones, which are essential towards reducing heart-related diseases.
- Also, it seems to contain most of the nutrients present in dairy milk from the cows.
Cons: despite being the most popular non-dairy milk in the market, soy milk comes with significant disadvantages.
- First, it can result in severe allergic conditions to people who suffer from a soy allergy.
- Second, the product gets associated with hurting men’s fertility. You can follow the link provided to learn more about the issue, http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24473985.
The two are among the most significant disadvantages the product can have on the consumer. However, the product is rich in nutrients as seen in the advantages section, and therefore, it’s worth your cash.
If you’re looking for an alternative that its texture is close to that of cow milk, the best choice will be the coconut milk. The difference it has from cow milk is its high concentration of fats. It carries an approximate of 5 grams of fats per cup.
Pros: Among the benefits of adopting coconut milk as an alternative to dairy milk includes;
- It comes with a nutty flavor which makes this milk suitable to serve with baked foods.
- Also, there are reduced chances that the food will have any negative impact on users who are allergic to various foods. It’s so since the milk is soy and gluten-free.
- Also, it contains more potassium content in comparison to cow milk. Each cup of coconut milk contains 160 grams of potassium in contrast to the 150 grams in a 240 ml cup of cow milk.
Pros: despite these substantial advantages also comes a few of coconut milk disadvantages. These include;
- The milk lacks most of the nutrition content of dairy milk. For example, a cup of coconut milk contains 1g of proteins, 100 grams of calcium, and 80 calories. On the other side, a cup of dairy milk contains 8 grams of protein, 300 grams of proteins, and 100 calories. That shows you how weak the milk is in comparison to dairy milk.
- Also, the high-fat content in the milk can result in weight gain, which is a negative effect on the user.
Almond Milk comes next on the list. It’s an extract from ground almonds, mixed with water and added sweeteners. The milk comes with a creamy texture, which is sweet and similar to that of dairy milk. For its users, the product remains to be the most sustainable non-dairy milk in the market.
Pros: Almond milk comes with a plethora of benefits to the user’s body. Among its advantages include;
- It contains a low content of fats and calories and therefore keeps you users from weight gain.
- Also carries 3 grams of all-healthy fats
- The milk contains a lot of vitamin E, along with a variety of minerals and nutrients, including Zinc, Magnesium, potassium, calcium, copper, and Iron, among many others.
- It also contains no animal products, and therefore works in the right way for the vegetarians.
- The product is gluten and lactose-free meaning that, it’s useful for those who are intolerant to lactose and also allergic to gluten.
Cons: Almond milk carries with it a few disadvantages which include;
- It can cause severe allergic conditions for people who suffer from tree nut allergies.
- Also, it fails to contain most of the nutrients contained in breast milk and therefore not suitable for infants.
- Also, almonds require a lot of water to yield, and consequently, they negatively impact on the environment.
- Apart from vitamin E, the Almond milk fails to contain other essential nutrients in high amounts and therefore not suitable for young kids.
Another great alternative to dairy milk is the rice milk that is an extract from boiled rice, brown rice starch, or brown rice syrup. Most of the preferred ingredients include the genetically modified type of rice.
Pros: the main advantages that come along with rice milk include;
- The fluid is gluten, nut, and soy-free, therefore making it essential for individuals who cannot tolerate these substances.
- It also has a texture that is close to that of cow’s milk, which comes with a naturally sweet taste. As a result, the milk pairs in a perfect way with cookies and cereals.
Cons: among its disadvantages include;
- To grow rice, it needs a lot of water, and therefore, it impacts negatively towards the environment.
- Also, most of the countries across the globe worry that the use of genetically modified rice types is unsafe for the user’s health.
- The milk also contains a high concentration of carbohydrates and therefore, can lead to the users gaining weight.
- It’s also low in calcium and protein concentration in comparison to the cow’s milk.
- The milk is also watery, and therefore it is not a better replacement for the dairy milk.
If you’re allergic to nuts, gluten, and soy content, Hemp milk will be an excellent choice for you. It’s an extract from the hemp seeds mixed with water or sweeteners. Note that, you’ll not get high in using the hemp milk as an alternative to dairy milk.
Pros: Hemp milk comes with a lot of benefits to the user which include;
- The high content of proteins and healthy fatty acids, which are suitable for an improved cardiovascular system. The fats also help in maintaining body cholesterols within the desired levels. Also, they are great at fortifying your skin.
- The Omega 3 in the milk is also helpful for brain development and therefore makes the milk suitable for children who are still in schools.
- Hemp milk is eco-friendly, from planting the hemp tree, maintenance with pesticides, to processing the milk.
- Also note that, apart from the milk, every part of the hemp plant is useful. Therefore it minimizes the waste products and hence considered as environmentally friendly.
Cons: There also are several disadvantages that relate to hemp milk, including;
- A lot of the hemp’s nutrient content gets stripped away during the production process.
- Also, it contains less calcium in comparison to dairy milk,
- The milk is expensive in comparison to other types of non-dairy milk products.
Caution: customers should check on the ingredient labels to see if the milk contains any added sugars that can be harmful to their health.
Another alternative to dairy milk is the Flax Milk extracted from the non-GMO flax. The milk gets manufactured by organic and ethically responsible companies and therefore considered to have high healthy content.
Advantages: some of the benefits that associates with Flax milk include;
- The fluid contains high fiber content that helps improve your digestion system
- It also contains alpha-linolenic acids which are useful in preventing and treating heart as well as blood vessels related diseases. Such diseases include heart attacks, high blood pressure, hardening of blood vessels, and high cholesterol levels.
- Also, if it gets fortified, its calcium content is as high as it is in dairy milk.
These are a few of the advantages that make the alternative a better option in comparison to other non-dairy milk options.
Disadvantages: Flax milk does also come with a few of its problems including;
- Low protein content in comparison to what dairy milk contains,
- Also, most of the sweetened flavors will get heavily sweetened, making them unsuitable.
Caution: users should ensure that they check on the labels to ensure that they don’t consume much of the heavily sweetened content.
Oat milk is also among the most popular alternatives to dairy milk. It’s an extract from the oat seeds, which many people believe that is only good for the livestock.
Advantages: the Oat milk comes along with a list of benefits to the users. Excellent examples include;
- Oat milk is useful in fighting bad cholesterol and therefore, helpful to those individuals who are after reducing their body weights.
- Also, it contains a lot of vitamin B,
- For it to work, the user needs only to consume it in small amounts. That makes the Oat milk eco-friendly.
- Also, apart from the milk, growing the plant needs less water to mature, and therefore it’s an environmentally friendly plant. Also, Oat plants do emit reduced levels of the CO2 gas into the atmosphere at thus reduces cases of global warming effects.
Disadvantages: On its downside, the Oat milk will come with the following cons;
- It comes with low protein and calcium concentrations. However, it can get fortified to increase calcium content in the milk,
- Also, it can take a lot of energy towards turning the oat into milk.
Pea Protein Milk
Almost every list of the most sustainable non-dairy milk in the market, pea protein milk will always get a top number. It’s a selection that if you use it once, you’ll always ask for more packets of the milk.
Pros: among its greatest benefits include;
- It contains protein content that is as much as the protein in dairy milk
- It also comes with high levels of Omega 3, which is great for improved heart functioning and brain development.
- It also comes with an increased amount of calcium content for strong teeth and bones.
- When a user considers the unsweetened options, he or she benefits from several sugars that get contained in the natural milk.
- It’s also an ideal option for eco-conscious customers.
- Also, on the part of how to grow peas, it requires a reduced amount of water, and also has a small carbon footprint and therefore reduces chances effects of global warming.
Cons: Pea protein milk will come with a few of its disadvantages which includes;
- When a consumer stands with the unsweetened options, there are higher chances that chalky and flour-like tastes will make it not make it a favorite choice. Therefore, most of the users will prefer using sweetened options.
Mooala Banana Milk
Extracted from six different ingredients, Mooala Banana Milk is non-dairy milk that is sugar added free. It’s among the best selections that vegetarian should consider picking from thee stores.
Pros: Among the many benefits that associate with the product include;
- The milk is free of dded sugars and therefore reduces the chances of becoming obese or diabetic,
- Also, it is non-GMO and nut-free, and organic so that, it fits all who suffer are allergic to nuts.
- It also contains 60 calories which naturally get made in a banana.
Cons: the milk does also come with several disadvantages including;
- The high amount of carbs, at 7 grams per a cup of the milk, with three grams of sugars which can result in a weight gain. Also makes it not suitable for individuals who want to adopt a low-carb diet.
- It also contains fats that might be unhealthy to the users’ body.
These are a few of the most sustainable non-dairy milk that you can consider as an alternative for the dairy cow milk. You should spend your time to research further to see which product perfectly suits your needs.
Factors to consider when purchasing non-dairy milk
When you decide to turn into the non-dairy milk, there are some factors that you should consider paying attention to, and they include;
Check on the label: Note that, not all non-dairy milk will contain the nutrients you’re looking for in the package. Among the features, you should look out for include proteins, calcium, and presence of added sugars.
Check on Price: Always pick on something that you can afford. Compare the quality of the package to the cash you spend on it to see if the price is recommendable.
If you’re a vegetarian or would love to adopt low-carb diets, this discussion will help you decide on the best non-dairy milk in the market. Therefore, pay attention to each of the types for a chance to make an informed decision.